Pasta Fruit Salad
This is one of my favorite time savers when I have a large group to serve. It can be made ahead of time except for the fresh fruit is best to add just before serving and will work as a luscious fruit salad for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 T. flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 T. oil
- 1 16 oz. Ronzoni Acini Pepe pasta
- 2 20 oz. cans pineapple chunks (drained) juice reserved
- 1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple (drained) juice reserved
- 3 11 oz. cans mandarin oranges (drained)
- 1 8 oz. carton light Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup coconut (optional)
- your choice of fresh fruit can be added just before serving.
- I like to add fresh quartered strawberries, sliced bananas,
- and red or green grapes halved lengthwise.
Combine sugar, flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Gradually stir in pineapple juice and eggs.
Cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened.
Stir in lemon juice & cool to room temperature.
Bring water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt & oil to a boil.
Add soup pasta
Cook at rolling boil until done (about 9 minutes)
Drain, and rinse with cold water and drain again.
Cool to room Temperature.
Combine pasta with egg mixture & mix gently. Refrigerate overnight in an air tight container.
Add remaining ingredients except fresh fruit.
Keep refrigerated in an air tight container until ready to serve.
Salad will keep for a week if kept in an air tight container.
When ready to serve, remove the amount you need & add fresh fruit.
Serve in fruit cups & garnish as desired
This makes almost a gallon or more when fresh fruit is added
- Innkeeper Specialties
- January 17, 2010
- Richard & Ellen Berdan